2010年6月8日 星期二

23 The Life of the Buddha

                        
                    
Perhaps the best way to understand what a person who has realized Nirvana is like to study the life and personality of the Buddha. The life of the Buddha not only shows us that Nirvana is possible, it also shows us what the realisation is like.

In the Tipitaka there is no actual biography of the Buddha as such, although there is a large amount of autobiographical material and scraps of biographical information scattered here and there. 

While the Buddha lived, and for perhaps a generation after his death, a biography was simply not necessary, as people had the Buddha himself, or at least accounts of people who had met and remembered him.

But in time, as it normal with the life of great men or women, people wanted more and more details about every aspect of the Buddha's life, and the Tipitaka had only preserved the main outlines of the Buddha's life. Legends grew up to fill in the gaps. And in time, a biography became necessary. One of the first attempts to do this was the Mahavastu, an untidy jumble of fact and fiction, history and legend. In this biography the Buddha appears as a man, but in many passages he is portrayed more and more like a superhuman being.

Another early biography, the Lalitavistara contains legends so exaggerated and verbose that the historical Buddha almost disappears completely. Perhaps the best ancient biography, the Buddhacarita, was written by the poet Asvaghosa in about the first century CE.  In it, Asvaghosa bases himself very carefully on the information in the Tipitaka, and uses his very considerable poetic skill to produce an accurate and pleasing biography.

All accounts of the Buddha's life since then are based upon information from the Tipitaka and legendary matter from these and other later works. We will look at the information about the life of the Buddha contained in the Tipitaka, being careful not to mix it with later legendary material.  

The Sakyans were a tribe of warrior people living in a small kingdom whose northern border faced on the Himalayan foothills. Kapilavatthu, their capital city was "rich, prosperous, popular, crowded with men, thickly populated with people".                               

181 It seems that the Sakyans were ruled by a king or raja, not a hereditary king, but someone elected by and from among the elders of the tribe. One of their kings, Suddhodana, had two queens, Maha Maya and Maha Pajapati Gotami, who were sisters.

In time, Queen Maha Maya became pregnant and as her time came near, she set off from Kapilavatthu for the parental home, there to give birth to the child, as was the custom of the time.  As the queen and her party approached Lumbini Park the labour pains began and so they decided to stop at the park.
Maha Maya was placed in the shade of a sal tree and, surrounded by her servants, there gave birth to a baby boy.  It was the full moon of the month of May (Vesaka) in the year 563 BC.   

At that time a sage call Asita suddenly became aware that all the heavenly beings were shouting for joy, and when he asked them why they were so happy, they replied:       

In a village called Lumbini in the Sakyan country, a Bodhisattva has been born, an excellent jewel without comparison. This is why we are so glad, so excited, so jubilant. He is the best of all beings,  the pinnacle, the bull among men, the supreme. The king of creatures, strong and roaring like a lion, will turn the Wheel of the Ghamma in Isipatana. There upon Asita decided to go and visit this  special child. Meanwhile, the queen and her party had set out from Lumbini Park to return to Kapilavatthu. Because the new born baby was a boy. Suddhodana and the whole court were celebrating, and in the middle of the festivities the sage Asita arrived to see the baby prince.       

So they showed the child to Asita. He was shining, radiant and beautiful. To see that child was like seeing burning gold taken from the furnace by a master smith.       

And having seen that child, blazing like a fire, bright like the stars crossing the night sky, shining like the sun in the cloudless autumn sky, the sage was filled with delight and joy.                               

182 Asita's years of meditation and great saintless allowed him to see that the baby prince was no  average child, and that in later life he would become enlightened and proclaim a new teaching for the benefit of all.  But when he realized he would die of old age before these events would take place and he would thus be unable to hear the new teaching, he began to weep. Suddhodana became deeply worried, thinking that perhaps

Asita had forseen some misfortune in the baby's future, but Asita told the king why he wept, and reassured him. Seeing the Sakyans unhappy, the sage said:

"I see no misfortune for this prince. Nor will any obstacle hinder him. For he is no ordinary child. So have no fear.       

"This prince will attain full Enlightenment and with this supreme vision he will turn the wheel of the Dhamma out of compassion for all beings. He will teach the holy life in full.       

"But little of my life remains. I will die before this comes to pass and shall not hear his Dhamma. That is why I feel so sad and unhappy.  

Shortly after this, the naming ceremony was held, and the baby prince was named Siddhattha, which means ‘he who accomplishes his aim’.  As his family name was Gotama, his full name became Siddhatta's Gotama.  Seven days after his birth, Prince Siddhattha's mother died, and so he was nursed and brought up by his aunt, Pajapati Gotami.  

Being the son of a king, Prince Siddhattha was trained in the manly arts, and probably in the traditions and legends of the tribe also.  He was married at an early age to a girl of royal blood named Yasodhara, and lived for a life of luxury and privilege. I was delicately brought up, very  delicately brought up, extremely delicately brought up. Ponds of blue, white and red lotus were made at my father's house for my sole use. I used no sandalwood that did not come from Benares, and my turban, tunic, lower garments and coat were all made of Bernares cloth. A white umbrella was held over me day and night so that no cold or heat, dust, dirt or dew would defile me. I have three palaces - one for the winter, one for the summer and one for the rainy season.                                

183  In the palace built for the rainy season  I was entertained by female musicians only, and  during the four months of the  rainy season I never left that palace. In other men's houses only broken rice and lentil soup is given to the servants, but in my father's house they ate fine white rice and wheat.         
But despite having everything that wealth and power could buy, Prince Siddhattha was not happy. He gradually came to feel that happiness came as a result of an inner contentment, not possessions and privilege, and increasingly he lost interest in the worldly affairs he was expected to participate in.

One day, during the annual ploughing festival, as his father ceremoniously planted the first seeds of the year, Prince Siddhattha spontaneously fell into a deep and peaceful meditative state. From then on, he became more and more interested in the inner life rather than the outer life.

According to legend, one day as he drove through Kapilavatthu in his chariot he saw what has come to be called the Four Sights: an old man hobbling on a stick, a diseased beggar, a corpse being taken for cremation and a wandering monk.  For Prince Siddhattha, the first three of these Four Sights epitomized the human predicament, while the last represented the quest to overcome the predicament. He described his experience thus:   

Now, before my Enlightenment when I was still a bodhisattva, not yet fully enlightened, while still liable to birth, ageing, disease, dying, sorrow and impurity, I sought after things that were liable to birth, ageing, disease, dying, sorrow and impurity. Then I thought:

"Why do I do this ?     
Being myself liable to birth, ageing, disease, dying, sorrow and impurity and seeing the peril in it, why don't I search instead for that which is not born, the unsurpassed perfect security - Nirvana?  "       

By his twenty-ninth year Prince Siddhattha had decided to renounce the world and become a monk. His wife Yasodhara had just given birth to a son, Rahula, and that together with opposition from his father made his decision a difficult and painful one. But he was firm in his resolve.                               

184 Then, after a time being young, with coal-black hair, possessed of radiant youth, in the prime of life, and although my unwilling parents wept and wailed, I cut off my hair and beard, put on a yellow robe and went forth from home into homelessness.  

He wandered from the Sakyan country into the kingdom of Magadha looking for a teacher to study under. In India at that time there were numerous wandering teachers and philosophers, all propounding different theories and trying to attract disciples both amongst other monks and also amongst laymen. 

Prince Siddhattha decided he would study under Alara Kalama, one of the most well-known teachers of the time. He says:      

Having gone forth, being a quester for the good, searching for the incomparable, matchless path of peace, I approached Alara Kalama and said:

"I want to live the holy life in your Dhamma and discipline."       

Alara Kalama said to me: "Then come, venerable sir, this Dhamma is such that an intelligent man  will soon, with help from the teacher, realize it and abide in it."

And before long I had mastered it. I claimed that as far as mere repetition and recitation were concerned, I could speak with knowledge and certainty. I knew and understood, and not just I.         

Then I though: "It is not through mere faith alone that Alara Kalama teaches his Dhamma, surely it is because he has realized through direct knowledge, surely he knows and understands. "       

So, I went to Alara Kalama and said to him: " How did you enter this Dhamma and realize it through your own direct knowledge? "

And then he taught me about the plane of nothingness. Then I thought:

" It is not just Alara Kalama who has faith, energy, mindfulness, concentration and understanding; I have them also. What if I exercise control and realize the Dhamma that he has realized through direct knowledge? "                                

185 And before long I had done this, and when I had, I told Alara Kalama, and he said :

"It is a gain, your reverence, it is a real gain that we now have such a companion in the holy life.

The Dhamma that I have realized through direct knowledge, you have too. What I know, you know;  as I am, so are you. Come, reverend sir, let us now lead this community together."

Thus Alara Kalama my teacher placed me, his pupil, on an equal footing with himself and awarded me with the highest honour.

But Prince Siddhattha did not wish to become a teacher leading a group of disciples;  he wanted to attain complete freedom of mind. Grateful to Alara Kalama but convinced that he could teach him no more. Prince Siddhattha left and went in search of another teacher. He approached Uddaka Ramaputta, another of the famous teachers of the time, and began to study under him. Uddaka Ramaputta taught him how to attain a meditative state called the Plane of Neither-Perception-Nor-Non-Perception, but once again he could teach him nothing higher, so he left.

After Prince Siddhattha left Uddaka Ramaputta, he decided to try extreme self-mortification in order to kill passions and purify the mind. First he tried to use sheer force to stop the mind.

Then I thought: "With my teeth clenched and my tongue pressed against the palate, why don't I subdue, restrain and dominate my mind? " 

So did this, and as I did, sweat poured from my armpits. It was just as if a strong man might seize a weaker one by the head or shoulders and subdue, restrain and dominate. Then he tried to stop breathing altogether. Then I thought:

"Why don't I try the non-breathing meditation? " 

So I stopped breathing through the mouth and nose, and as I did, a very loud noise arose like the hissing of a smith's bellows as the air escaped from my ears. Next he tried to subdue the body by cutting his food down to a minimum.                                

186 Then I thought: "Why don't I take my food, beans, vetch, chickpea or pea soup little by little, morsel by morsel?"       

So I did this, and as I did, my body became extremely emaciated.  Because I ate so little, my limbs become like the joints of withered creepers; because I ate so little, my buttocks became like a bullock's hooves;  because I ate so little, my protruding backbone became like a string of balls; because I ate so little, my gaunt ribs became like the rafters in a tumbledown hut;  because I ate so little, my eyes sank deep in  their sockets; because I ate so little, my scalp became shrivelled and shrunken, as a bitter gourd cut before it is not ripe becomes shrivelled and shrunken by the hot wind.

If I thought:" I will touch my abdomen," I seized my backbone, and if I thought: "I will touch my backbone,"I seized my abdomen.       

For because I ate so little, my abdomen came to touch my backbone.  If I thought : " I will go to the toilet,"  I fell down on my face because I ate so little. If I rubbed my limbs in order to soothe them, the hairs, rotted at the roots, fell out because I ate so little.       

During all this period, Prince Siddhattha was waited upon by five other monks impressed by his rigor and sure that he would sooner or later attain some exalted spiritual state. But it had been six years since he had become a monk, several of those years practising the most extreme self-mortification, and he had still not attained Enlightenment.

As he began to doubt that the practices he was doing would ever lead to Enlightenment, he remembered the peace of mind had experienced as a youth, and decided to try to reduplicate it. Then I though: "Some recluses and Brahmins in the past have experienced, some in the future may experience, or some in the present are experiencing acute, painful, sharp, severe feelings, but not equal to or more than this. And yet I still do not attain states of higher men, the excellent knowledge and vision befitting the Noble Ones as a result of this severe austerity.  Could there be another way to Enlightnment?"                               

187 Then I thought: "I know that while my Sakyan father was ploughing and I was sitting in the cool shade of a roseapple tree detached from sense pleasures and unskilled states of mind, I entered and abided in the first jhana, which has logical and wandering thought present, and is filled with a joy and happiness that is born of detachment," and I thought: 

"Could this be the way to awakening ? " Then as a result of remembering, I realized that this was the way to awakening.     

However, he also realized that he would have to rest and strengthen his body before he tried this meditation. But when he began to take proper nourishment, his five disciples accused him of weakening in his resolve, and they walked out and left him. Then I thought:

"It is not easy to attain that happiness while the body is so extremely emaciated.  What if I take food-boiled rice and sour milk? " 

So I took food. Now at that time, five monks were attending me, thinking:

"When the recluse Gotama realizes something, he will teach it to us." But when I took food, those monks turned on me with disgust, saying: "The recluse Gotama lives in luxury, he is wavering in his effort, he has returned to the life of luxury."        

Now alone, Prince Siddhattha spent some time eating properly and recovering from his self-mortification, and then he set out to find a suitable place where he could practice meditation. Eventually he arrived at the small village of Uruvela, now called Bodh Gaya.        

Then, being a quester for the good, searching for the incomparable, matchless path of peace, while walking on tour through  Magadha I arrived at Uruvela, the army township. There I saw a delightful stretch of land, a lovely woodland  grove, a clear flowing river with  delightful ford and  a village nearby for support. And I thought:

"Indeed, this is a delightful spot. Indeed, this is a good place for a young manset on striving."  So I sat down there, thinking:

"Indeed, this is a good place for striving."                              

 188 Settling down in the shade of a tree, Prince Siddhattha began his meditation, trying to re-experience the state of jhana he had expressed in his youth. Years of meditation and self-discipline allowed him to have a high degree of mental control. He attained the first, second, third, then fourth jhana, his mind becoming purer and more radiant with each stage. Then with his mind " purified, clear, unblemished, immaculate, malleable, workable, stable and imperturbable," three profound realizations or understandings suddenly dawned upon him.

These Three Knowledges (tevijja) were: the knowledge of former lives where he vividly recalled all his former lives (pubbe nvasanussati nana) and verified the truth of rebirth, the knowledge of the arising and passing away of beings (yathakammupaga nana) where he realised the workings of kamma, and most importantly, the knowledge of the destruction of the defilements (asava-kkhayanana).       

When I knew this, when I saw this, my mind was freed of the defilements of sense pleasure, of becoming and of ignorance. I was free and I knew I was free.  And I knew that rebirth had ended, the holy life had been lived, I had achieved what had to be achieved, and that for me there was no more becoming.

Thus did Prince Siddhattha become the Buddha, the fully awakened One.  

After overcoming initial hesitations about whether or not he should teach the Dhamma he had realized, the Buddha decided that he should teach. He thought of his two former teachers, Alara Kalama and Uddaka Ramaputta, but when he found out that they both had died, he decided that he should instead teach his five former followers who had abandoned him.

Knowing that they were  staying in a park called Isipatana near the great city of Benares, he set off. On the way, he had encounter with a wandering ascetic. Then a naked ascetic called Upaka saw me coming along the road between Gaya and the place of my Enlightenment, and he said:

" Your reverence, your senses are pure and your complexion is shining
and radiant.
 
Under who have you become a monk?

"Who is your teacher?"

Whose Dhamma do you follow?" And I replied:                               

189  Victorious over all, Knower of all, Unstained by all, renouncing all  
And with the ceasing of craving, I am free.     
Having done this by myself, who could guide me?"         
I have no teacher,       
For there is none in this world       
Including its gods who equals me        
I am perfect, the supreme teacher to the world.       
I alone am fully enlightened.       
My passions are cooled, I have attained Nirvana.         
Now I go to Benares to set in motion        
The Wheel of the Dhamma,       
To beat the drum of the Immortal.       
In a world that has become blind.         

And Upaka replied: "According to what you say, you should be the Universal Victor.         
The true Victors are those Who have destroyed the defilements.       
I have destroyed the defilements,       
So I am a Victor.        

When I had said this, Upaka said: "It may be so," and shaking his head, he walked off another road. This incident is very important because it epitomizes the Buddha's attitude towards those he taught throughout the next forty years of his life. 

The Buddha did not chase after Upaka trying to convince him of the truth of his Enlightenment, nor did he curse or condemn him for rejecting him. Here as elsewhere, the Buddha spoke his truth plainly and quietly and then left it to Upaka to make up his mind.  

After his meeting with Upaka, the Buddha continued on his journey to Benares. Eventually he found his five former followers at Isipatana about eight miles from Benares. Isipatna was also called the Deer Park (Migadaya) because it was used as a refuge for wild animals, especially deer. The group of five monks saw me coming in the distance, and agreeing together, they said:

"The recluse Gotama is coming. He lives in luxury, he is wavering in his effort, he has returned to the life of luxury. He should not be greeted, stood up for, nor should his bowl or robe be taken.
                             
190 However, we will put out a seat, and if he wants to sit down, he can."  But as I approached,  they did not keep to their agreement. Some took my bowl and robe, some made a seat ready, some  brought water for washing my feet, and they all addressed me as "your reverence". Then I spoke to those five monks and said:

" Do not address the Tathagata as" your reverence", for the Tathagata is a Noble One, a fully enlightened One. Therefore give ear, the Immortal has been found, and I instruct, I teach Dhamma." 

But these five monks refused to believe that their old companion had really attained enlightenment.  They said to him: But good Gotama, you did not attain the state of a Noble One or knowledge and vision higher than the human type through the practice and discipline of austerities. So how could you attain it now that you live in luxury, waver in striving and revert to the life of luxury?   

Three times the Buddha told them that he was really enlightened and that he did not live in indulgence and luxury, and eventually he said to them:

"Do you admit that I have never spoken to you in this way before?"

They admitted that he had not, not realizing that he was telling the truth, they sat down and listened to him.

Then the Buddha proclaimed his Dhamma to the world  for thefirst time.  His first discourse, in which he outlines the Four noble Truths  and the concept of the Middle Way came to be known as "The Discourse on the Turning of the Wheel of the Dhamma" (Dhammacakkappavattana). This name is derived from the idea that the Dhamma is like a great wheel, that once set in motion, will roll without hindrance over the whole world.  

Later the Buddha delivered a second discourse called The Discourse on Non-Self (Anati alakkhama sutta), and all the five monks - Kondanna, Vappa, Bhaddiya, Mahanama and Assaji became enlightened. Then the Buddha gave them instructions to go out into the world and teach the Dhamma so that all would have the opportunity to experience the freedom and happiness of Nirvana.                              

191 Go forth for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction. Teach the Dhamma which is beautiful in the beginning, beautiful in the middle and beautiful at the end. Proclaim both the letter and the spirit of the holy life completely fulfilled and perfectly pure.  

For the next forty years, the Buddha became a familiar sight as he wandered throughout northern  India giving his Dhamma to anyone who wished to receive it. Often he was accompanied by his two chief disciples, Sariputta and Monggallana, and in the last twenty years of his life by Ananda, his friend who was always with him.

From the time he started teaching, people flocked to hear him, so that by the end of his life he had hundreds of thousands of disciples, both monastic and lay. Everything he taught and did within his forty years' career could not possibly be fitted into one chapter, one book or even one library, so eventful and full was it. So we will move ahead and deal with the last few months of his long and fruitful life.

In his eightieth year, the Buddha set out from Rajagaha on what was to become his last journey.  He passed through villages and towns which are still known today - Nalanda, Pataligama, (now called Patna), Vesali and others. But he was now old and tired, having wandered northern India for more than forty years. At this stage in his life he described himself like this: I am now old, worn out, venerable, one who has walked life's path, I have reached the end of my life, being now eighty years old. 

Just as an old cart can only be kept going by tying it up with straps, so too the Tathagata's body can only be kept going by being bandaged up. He arrived in Vesali as the rainy season began, and decided to spend the three months of the rainy season in the nearby village of Beluva. During the rains the Lord was attacked by a severe sickness, with sharp and deadly pains. But he endured it mindfully, clearly conscious and without complaint.                               

192 After the rains, the Buddha, together with a large party of his monks, continued in a north-easterly direction, probably intending to reach Kapilavatthu. But the Buddha was now old and sick, and the party had to stop and rest often. When the party arrived in Pava they stayed in a mango  grove belonging to Cunda the smith.

While staying there, the Buddha was invited for a meal by Cunda and was served (sukaramaddava), after which "he was attacked by a severe sickness with bloody diarrhoea and sharp and deadly pain. But he endured it mindfully, fully conscious and without complaint."

All this happened the day before he died, and as a result of eating bad or poisonous food. This is not correct. As we have already seen, the Buddha was eighty years old and had been sick for some time. He died of old age, having reached the natural term of his life.

Another misunderstanding concerns the Buddha's last meal. Sukaramaddava comes from two  words, pig (sukara) and soft, mild, limp (maddava) and may mean either some dish containing pig's flesh or some food liked pigs - truffles, perhaps.  

Those who advocate vegetarianism insist that it means some vegetarian dish. Those who mistakenly think that the Buddha was a vegetarian and who are anxious to expose what they believe to be hypocrisy think that the Buddha's last meal is an embarrassment to Buddhists and that to interpret the word sukkaramaddaya as anything other than pork is an attempt to disguise an obvious truth.

Both these parties fail to understand that there are incidents recorded in the Tripitaka where the Buddha eats meat, and even one where he rejects a request to make vegetarian compulsory (see 92). The simple truth is that no one really knows what sukaramaddava means.  

However, the Buddha realized that Cunda might think that he was in some way responsible for his death. So out of compassion, he instructed his disciples to reassure Cunda. Ananda, it might happen that Cunda the smith feels remorse thinking:

"It is your fault, Cunda, it is your wrong deed, that the Tathagata attained final Nirvana after  having taken his last meal from you."

193 But you should dissolve his remorse by saying: "It is merit Cunda, it is your good deed that the Tathagata attained Nirvana after having taken his last meal from you. For I have heard and  understood from the Lord's own lips that two alms-givings are of great fruit, of very great fruit, and that there are none more fruitful than these.       

What two ?  The alms-giving just before the Tathagata attains full Enlightenment, and the alms-giving after which he attains final Nirvana.       

These two alms-givings are more fruitful or better than any other. Cunda's act is conducive to long life, beauty, happiness, fame, heaven and power." In this way, Cunda's remorse should be dispelled.        

Another interesting even took place just before his final Nirvana is the Buddha's transfiguration. He had been preaching to a man called Pukkusa, who then decided to take the Three Refuges. As an expression of gratitude,  Pukkusa decided to give the Buddha a gift. Then Pukkusa said to a man:

" Go and fetch me two robes made from fine gold cloth, burnished and ready to wear."       

"Yes  sir," said the man, and he did so. Then Pukkusa offered the robes to the Lord, saying :     

" Here, Lord, are two robes made from fine gold cloth. May the Lord be pleased to accept  them."       

"Very well Pukkusa, clothe me in one and give one to Ananda."       

"Very well, Lord,"  said Pukkusa, and he did so. Then the Lord inspired, roused and delighted Pukussa with talk on Dhamma, after which Pukkusa rose from his seat, saluted the Lord, and keeping to the right, departed.       

Soon after, when Ananda arranged one set of golden robes on the Lord, it appeared dull against the Lord's body. And Ananda said: 

"It is  wonderful, truly marvellous, how clear and bright the Lord's skin is. It looks even brighter than the golden robes in which it is robed."   

194 "Just so, Ananda. There are two times when the Tathagata's skin appears especially clear and bright. Which two ?  On the night he attains complete Enlightenment and on the night he attains final Nirvana."  

Soon after this, the Buddha and his party arrived in Kusinara, where they stopped in a grove of sal trees nearby. There the Lord said to Ananda:

"Prepare a bed for me between these twin sal trees, with my head to the north. I am tired and wish to lie down."  It is now became clear that the Buddha could go no further, and that he was near death.

When the Mallas of Kusinara heard this, they flocked to the sal grove to pay their respects.  Now, it so happened that a wandering ascetic called Subhadda, who was staying in Kusinara, heard that the Buddha would soon pass away, and he resolved to visit him and ask  him some questions.

But when Subhadda went to the sal grove, he found it difficult to get near the Buddha because of the crowd. When he did get near, Ananda said to him:

"Enough, friend Subhadda, do not disturb the Tathagata, for he is weary."  But when the Buddha heard this, he said:        

Enough even on his death bed, the Buddha taught Subhadda the Dhamma, and soon after he attained Enlightment. He was the Buddha's last disciple.   

Shortly after this, the Buddha uttered his last wordsto his disciples. Now monks I say to you: all conditioned things are impermanent - strive on with heedfulness (Vayadhamm Sankhava. Appamadena Sampadekha). And those monks who had not yet overcome their passions wept and  tore their hair, throwing up their arms, falling down and twisting and turning their bodies, crying:" Too soon has the Eye of the World disappeared."   

195 But those monks who were free from craving remained mindful and clearly conscious, saying: 

" All compounded things are impermanent, so what is the use of all this? " Then Venerable Anuruddha said:

"Friends, enough of this weeping and wailing. Has not the Lord already taught that all things that are pleasant and delightful to us are also changeable, subject to separation and to becoming something else? So why all this, friends?  Whatever is born, become, and compounded is subjected to decay;  it cannot be otherwise."      

Then the monks spent the rest of  the night discussing Dhamma, and in the morning Ananda went to announce to the Mallas of Kusinara that the Lord had passed into final Nirvana. When they heard this, they were overcome with grief and began to sob and cry. The Mallas brought incense and flowers and played music to honour the Buddha's body, and on the sixth day it was taken out for cremation.

After the cremation, delegations from King Ajatasattu, the Licchavis of Vesali, the Buddha's own family the Sakyans, the Bulayas, the Koliyas, the distinguished Brahmin Vethadipa and the Mallas of Pava all arrived to ask for the ashes of the Buddha so that they could build a stupa over them and give them honour. But the Mallas of Kusinara refused, and the disagreement arose. Eventually Dona the Brahmin spoke saying:       

Listen, lords to my proposal.     
Patience is the Buddha's teaching;     
It is unseemly that strife should come     
From sharing out the ashes of the best of men,     
So let there be peace and harmony.     
In friendship let us share out eight portions,     
And let stupas be put up far and wide,     
That all may see and grow in faith.        

After this, it was agreed to let Dona divide the ashes into eight parts. 
For his service, he was given the urn in which the ashes had been kept. 

But when all this was finished, the Moriyas of Pipphalavana arrived, having only lately heard of the Buddha's passing, and they demanded some ashes. As there were none left, they were given the embers from the funeral pyre. The ten stupas that were built over these relics were the first of many that in the following centuries came to be built all over the world as memorials to the Buddha's greatness.  




沒有留言:

張貼留言